Ladies basketball lose to OWU, crush Denison

Co-Captain Maggie Boelter '14 scored 16 points in the loss to OWU.
Co-Captain Maggie Boelter ’14 scored 16 points in the loss to OWU.

By Noah Gurzenski | Staff Writer

This past weekend was a mixed bag for Kenyon’s women’s tennis team.

The Ladies faced off against two teams, starting off strong on Saturday by defeating Otterbein University 7-2 and nearly sweeping up all the singles matches. But the team didn’t fare so well against the University of Chicago Maroons the following day and were skunked 0-9.

Saturday’s victory over Otterbein chalked up the first win for the team this season. Kenyon started off the day strong with two wins in doubles, the first going to the team of Samantha Murphy ’16 and Abigail Younger ’15 with a swift 8-4 win, and the second to the pairing of Elise Altschuler ’16 and Madison Hoffman ‘16 with a final score of 9-8 (8-6).

“I think against Otterbein we played pretty well, and we kept a lot more balls in play,” Head Coach Scott Thielke said. “Otterbein is ranked just a few spots below us in the region, so we knew it was going to be a pretty good challenge.”

In singles, the Ladies cleaned up with five total victories. Murphy started singles with a quick victory of 6-3, 6-3 against Otterbein’s Adrien Leatherwood. Taylor Diffley ’16 won the following match with a score of 6-0, 6-4, while Kenyon’s sole loss in singles went to Jenna Murray ’17. The Ladies knocked out the the remaining three matches, with Lauren Hoffman ’16 beating Otterbein’s Emma Krummel with a score of 7-5, 4-6 and 6-4. Samantha Betts ’14 and Heather Fantry ’16 finished up the day in doubles with a final score of 6-2, 6-1, and 6-1, 7-5, respectively.

Thielke said Kenyon and Otterbein match up similarly, making the win even sweeter.

“I felt real good about how we played against Otterbein,” he said. “They also have two of the best players in the region as well as number one and number two, so we knew that was going to be a tough day.”

After ousting Otterbein, the Ladies took to the court the next day against Chicago. Thielke said the Maroons posed a formidable challenge for the Ladies, changing Kenyon’s strategy going into the match.

“The University of Chicago has been to the quarterfinals of the national tournament the last nine years in a row, so consistently they’re a very strong program,” Thielke said. “What we wanted to see in playing them was, could we play with them.”

While the Ladies didn’t quite manage to nab a game, Diffley and Madison Hoffman had the closest match, playing the Maroons in doubles to a final match score of 8-4.

“We actually handled the pace of the ball okay, but playing consistently between a team that well is hard to do,” Thielke said. “We were able to do it for bits and pieces of the match, but we weren’t able to do it for the entire match. And that’s the difference between their level and our level right now.”

These last two matches put the Ladies at 1-2 for the season. The Ladies will play against Case Western Reserve University at home on Saturday at 2 p.m.