Staff Editorial: Join the Collegian community for Volume 152

We at the Collegian want to welcome you to our 152nd volume, and, before we get swept up in a tidal wave of finals and then leave for the summer, we want to leave you with a simple request:

Write for the Collegian. We apologize if this sounds out of place — perhaps it would be more appropriate in a self-ad (see page 4) — but we hope you’ll come to understand why we’re asking.

The Collegian, like student newspapers across the country, relies on the work of student journalists to function. In between classes, labs, jobs and much more, Collegian staff members and writers find the time to report on the goings-on around Gambier and beyond, helping to keep Kenyon community members informed and the history of the College documented. In the past year, Collegian writers have covered important events and issues on the Hill, from a controversial policy about ‘all campuses’ to President Julie Kornfeld’s inauguration. And, every week, the Collegian serves as a historical record of athletic triumphs and heartbreaks, student masterpieces and much more.

We have dedicated countless hours and sacrificed much sleep to the Collegian during our time at Kenyon, but this newspaper has given us far more than we have given it. From summer journalism internships to the opportunity to interview some of the most interesting and, dare we say, coolest people on and off campus, the Collegian has opened so many doors for generations of staff. All of our writers have weekly access to a large team of editors and the space to work collaboratively. Most importantly, the Collegian has given us a tight-knit community and some of our very best friends. We’re not just saying this; we really mean it. 

We hope that you will join us and take advantage of all the Collegian has to offer.

Sincerely,

Katie, Audrey and Annalia

This editorial was written by editors-in-chief Katie Sparvero ’25 and Audrey Baker ’25 and managing editor Annalia Fiore ’25. You can contact them at sparvero1@kenyon.edu, baker10@kenyon.edu and fiore1@kenyon.edu, respectively.