Professors should cancel class for the eclipse

On April 8, we will witness a potentially once-in-a-lifetime event: the Great North American Eclipse. Though Gambier is not in the path of totality, many parts of Ohio are; in places such as Cleveland, the eclipse will last almost a full four minutes. A total solar eclipse will not happen again in the United States for another 20 years. Due to both the rarity and significance of this event, Kenyon professors should cancel all classes on April 8 to encourage and accommodate students, faculty and staff who wish to observe the eclipse. 

As many people will be traveling from out of state, travel times will likely be extended due to heavy traffic. The cancellation of classes will allow students to make travel arrangements without the worry of being marked down for lack of attendance or the anxiety of rushing back to campus to make it in time for a class. Additionally, since many students will travel to see the eclipse regardless of campus policy, canceling classes allows students to leave the Hill without playing hooky. 

Cancellation would also establish consistency across campus, preventing any faculty members from standing out — either for canceling classes or for holding them. Considering that many public schools across Ohio are canceling classes for the eclipse, following suit would allow staff and faculty to make plans with their own children to witness the eclipse. 

We will be lucky enough to be in Ohio on April 8. Few other Kenyon students will ever get to experience this singular of an opportunity to take their learning outside of the four walls of a classroom and off of the pages of a syllabus.

Sincerely,

Annalia, Katie and Audrey

This editorial was written by editors-in-chief Katie Sparvero ’25 and Audrey Baker ’25 and managing editor Annalia Fiore ’25. You can contact them at sparvero1@kenyon.edu, baker10@kenyon.edu and fiore1@kenyon.edu, respectively.