College should prioritize sustainability on West Quad

President Sean Decatur told the Collegian this week that there is a small subcommittee on the investment committee on the Board of Trustees which will be considering the issue of divestment, and the process by which the College invests its endowment.

We encourage the Board to continue looking into how to ensure our endowment is invested responsibly, but we would also like to emphasize how important we think a dedication to sustainability is to our forthcoming construction projects.

Chief Business Officer Mark Kohlman told the Collegian that the new library would be LEED certified. LEED is a globally recognized green building rating system, and the prospect that parts of the West Quad may qualify for the certification is encouraging. We hope the College will pursue the highest possible LEED standard throughout the West Quad construction process. We also hope the College will handle potential waste generated by the West Quad project responsibly.

In an Oct. 21 article entitled “Why Has the E.P.A. Shifted on Toxic Chemicals? An Industry Insider Helps Call the Shots,” The New York Times recently reported that a Trump administration appointee insisted upon rewriting a rule to make it harder to track the health consequences of a chemical abbreviated PFOA that has been linked to birth defects and immune system disorders. With a presidential administration that insists on denying climate science, deregulating dangerous chemicals and defunding the Environmental Protection Agency, we hope the trustees, and College administrators, will prioritize and address sustainability on campus.

The staff editorial is written weekly by the executive editors of the Collegian, co-editors-in-chief Bailey Blaker ’18 and Gabrielle Healy ’18 and managing editor Lauren Eller ’18. You can contact them at blakerb@kenyon.edu, healyg@kenyon.edu and ellerl@kenyon.edu, respectively.