Staff Editorial: Reflecting on our year of transition at the Collegian

At the beginning of the year, we published a staff editorial where we remarked that this period of transition would be like no other. We came into our new roles with hopeful ideas for the Collegian: bringing back printing, highlighting new stories other than the current COVID-19 numbers and shedding light on important community matters. But, as always, we had no idea what was to come. Sometimes, dealing with transition means that not everything is going to work out as planned.

Over the course of the year, our perceptions of Kenyon, the Collegian and our roles as student journalists have tremendously changed. Together we have worked to cover breaking news while trying to maintain the Collegian as a platform for communication for our greater community.

This year has been much different than we had anticipated. Returning to the Hill for a full year in person, with the entire student body on campus for the first time since 2020, we have all felt how much the College has changed — culturally, socially and even academically. 

It took longer than we might have originally expected, but masks have largely disappeared from campus, and gatherings have returned to pre-COVID sizes. There is hope that the Kenyon social scene can return to some semblance of normal, but the school still has a long way to go. With student organizations struggling to garner consistent participation — the Collegian included — extracurricular activities at Kenyon are in need of a post-pandemic revitalization. Student involvement in a diverse group of pastimes is one of the things that makes Kenyon so special, and it is vital that this trend returns to its former glory.

In addition to this transitional period, Kenyon as we know it will also undergo a major transformation — one that has not happened in nearly a decade: President Decatur will go on sabbatical for the fall semester, leaving Provost Bowman to lead the way. Though we have no idea what to expect with this administrative transition, we know that Kenyon students will continue to make their ideas heard to the senior staff. 

As we close this chapter of our lives, we are beyond thankful for the opportunities the Collegian has provided us. Each of us has grown as a writer, editor and an individual. We are extraordinarily thankful for our staff’s dedication and all the hard work they have put into this paper. And, of course, we are grateful to our readers: Despite returning to our online format and having several hiccups throughout the year, you have remained willing to engage with our work. 

Sincerely,

Joe, Jordy, Linnea and Amanda 

The staff editorial is written weekly by editors-in-chief Jordy Fee-Platt ’22 and  Linnea Mumma ’22, managing editor Amanda Pyne ’22 and executive director Joe Wint ’22. You can contact them at feeplatt1@kenyon.edu, mumma1@kenyon.edu, pyne1@kenyon.edu and wint1@kenyon.edu, respectively.