Going beyond the ballot

As the midterm elections rapidly approach, the many calls for us to vote are louder than ever. Billions of advertising dollars, dozens of concerned peers and just about every social media platform is urging young voters to the booth. We’ve obviously done our fair share of encouragement on this issue, too.

Although millennials make up 31 percent of the overall electorate, in the 2012 election, voters between the ages of 18 and 29 made up only 19 percent of the electorate, according to NPR. In 2016, only 50 percent of that age group voted according to Brookings Institution. Although our political voice could be louder than that of the Baby Boomer generation, we’re not using it to its greatest potential.

It goes without saying that, for many Kenyon students, voting is a privilege and a civic duty. Yet, this rhetoric is often predicated upon the idea that if you don’t vote, you’re throwing away the only chance you have of improving our nation.Voting is important, but it is not enough. Take part in protests. Volunteer for candidates you support.  Advocate for issues you care about to friends and family. Donate your time and money to organizations that you care about. All are important steps in creating a world that better reflects who we are as a community, state and nation.

There has, for good reason, been a lot of energy dedicated to what we must do on Nov. 6. But we must also think about what to do on Nov. 7.

The staff editorial is written weekly by editors-in-chief Cameron Messinides ’19 and Devon Musgrave-Johnson ’19, managing editor Grant Miner ’19 and executive director Matt Mandel ’19. You can contact them at messinidesc@kenyon.edu, musgravejohnsond@kenyon.edu, minerg@kenyon.edu and mandelm@kenyon.edu, respectively.