Ban on CA Collegian interviews must end

In our last issue, we covered the changes to the College’s Beer and Sex program in an article called “CAs attendance required at first year Beer and Sex groups.” Despite the fact that the Community Advisors (CAs) appeared at the forefront of this story, their voices unfortunately went unheard in our coverage.

As stated in the article, “the Collegian has made attempts to reach out to various CAs who said that they were instructed not to talk to reporters.” When we reach out to CAs, we get the same answer time and time again: They don’t want to talk to us for fear of losing their jobs.

As reporters, it is our job to get at a story from every possible angle and deliver nothing less than the whole truth as we are able to uncover it, but we can’t do this when those whose stories we cover are barred from speaking with us.

When employers ask students not to speak to us, at best we miss a perspective and at worst we arrive in the dangerous territory of misinformation. We don’t know how individual CAs feel about the new policy because they weren’t allowed to tell us.

In the past, CAs have been allowed to speak with us within the presence of their employer or a supervisor. This too is not good enough. Unless everyone is allowed to speak candidly without fear of retribution, some element of the truth will always be lost.

We implore the Office of Residential Life to reconsider its policy regarding this matter.

The staff editorial is written weekly by editors-in-chief Cameron Messinides ’19 and Devon Musgrave-Johnson ’19, managing editor Grant Miner ’19 and executive director Matt Mandel ’19. You can contact them at messinidesc@kenyon.edu, musgravejohnsond@kenyon.edu, minerg@kenyon.edu and mandelm@kenyon.edu, respectively.