We cannot remain indifferent to white supremacy

The Collegian recently received a letter postmarked from Florida and sent by the Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Although the letter only requested a review of a novel which the hate group found objectionable, this occurrence still raises concerns. The letter, along with the recent reports of two trucks on campus flying the Confederate flag, indicates that Kenyon students can no longer remain indifferent to the amplification of white supremacism in this country. The College has attempted to make sure that students of color feel comfortable and safe on this campus, but we can no longer neglect our surroundings. To be frank: We’re not sure how to best address the issue. But we do want to encourage our fellow students and community members to refuse complacency in a time when many are turning a blind eye to social and political injustices — whether that’s police brutality, white supremacy or the blatant sexism that runs rampant throughout many professional industries. We must call attention to those around us who are complicit in perpetuating white supremacy, but we must also hold ourselves accountable in the role we play in letting these injustices take place.

The staff editorial is written weekly by the executive editors of the Collegian, co-editors-in-chief Bailey Blaker ’18 and Gabrielle Healy ’18 and managing editor Lauren Eller ’18. You can contact them at blakerb@kenyon.edu, healyg@kenyon.edu and ellerl@kenyon.edu, respectively.