Resources for relief in wake of Maria

It seems like the news cycle never ends, but American citizens are still struggling in Puerto Rico in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. As of Oct. 17, the official death toll stands at 48, but some reports indicate the number may be higher, according to columnist David Leonhardt at the New York Times. Instead of a staff editorial this week, we’ve assembled several organizations that are mobilizing resources to assist Puerto Ricans.

puertoricansinaction.com: Puerto Ricans in Action is a coalition of individuals, organizations and businesses in the greater Los Angeles Puerto Rican community gathering resources to donate to hurricane victims.

conprmetidos.org: ConPRmetidos is an independent, non-partisan and non-profit organization operating in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Its mission is harnessing the Puerto Rican diaspora’s resources to promote Puerto Rican political, social and economic development. So far, ComPRmetidos’s real-time Hurricane Maria recovery fund has raised $1,560,541 USD out of a $10,000,000 goal.

casapueblo.org: Casa Pueblo is a community development project committed to protecting Puerto Rico’s natural, cultural and human resources. It is focused on restoring the natural landscape of Puerto Rico after the hurricane. 

cdpecpr.org/comedores-sociales-de-puerto-rico: The CDPEC is committed to improving the quality of life in Puerto Rico by investing in development and education.

viveboriken.org: Vive Boriken is a grassroots unity movement in Puerto Rico whose mission is to unite Puerto Ricans worldwide. 100 percent of donations go to supporting Vive Boriken’s work in Puerto Rico. The group focuses on improving sustainable tourism and volunteer programs.

fondosunidos.org: Fondos Unidos is a private, non-profit organization that is dedicated to bringing together volunteers from the public and private sectors in Puerto Rico.

iniciativacomunitaria.org: Iniciativa Comunitaria works to support the Puerto Rican community in its development and transformation. They advocate for public policy that improves citizens’ quality of life, health and solidarity.

The staff editorial is written weekly by the executive editors of the Collegian, co-editors-in-chief Bailey Blaker ’18 and Gabrielle Healy ’18 and managing editor Lauren Eller ’18. You can contact them at blakerb@kenyon.edu, healyg@kenyon.edu and ellerl@kenyon.edu, respectively.