Section: DA Question Box

DA Question Box: #takeaknee?

Q: What is the #takeaknee NFL protest about?

A: The #takeaknee protest refers to the act of kneeling, instead of standing, during the American national anthem during sporting events. This action became infamous when San Francisco’s 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick, did not stand up for the national anthem as other players traditionally did. He saw the action as a form of protest against racial inequality and police brutality in the United States. Others saw it as a sign of disrespect to the United States as a country, to the U.S. flag and to the U.S. Army, which made the action controversial. Kaepernick reiterated that he did not mean it as an attack on the U.S. flag or the army, but wanted to shed light on inequalities that are present in our country. Many other teams -— namely the Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos and Miami Dolphins — and athletes have now joined the #takeaknee movement, along with many other people across the U.S.

The DAs want you to know: What do you think about the #takeaknee protest? We would love to hear your feedback. We will also send out emails each week with a questionnaire called #AsktheDAs attached. We ask you to send in your questions about the DAs, diversity and anything else you might want to know. Your questions can be anonymous if you would like. We will try to answer your questions as best as we can.

Nasra Farah ’18 is an international studies major from Columbus, Ohio. You can contact her at farahn@kenyon.edu.