Section: DA Question Box

DA Question Box: What are my resources?

The Question Box is a new, biweekly feature in the opinions section. On a rotating basis, the Diversity Advisors will pen responses to questions submitted by the student body.

Q: What are the resources available to me on campus if I’ve faced discrimination?

A: There are plenty of resources on campus to help you when faced with discrimination. First, if you are looking for peer support, there are a couple of student-led groups such as the Diversity Advisors (previously known as the Discrimination Advisors), Sexual Misconduct Advisors and Peer Counselors. These groups are here to listen and provide insight on the next steps you can take if you have experienced any form of discrimination. They do so in an informal setting, and for those who would like to pursue formal action, there are resources available to do that as well.

Samantha Hughes is the Civil Rights/Title IX coordinator. Following the process of Title IX is a good path to take if you’ve experienced discrimination in the form of sexual harassment/assault or intimate partner violence. She is here to assist students, whether just by listening to them or by helping them in the process of filing a report. There is also an anonymous report sheet online that students can use if they want to keep their identity to themselves. This form is called the Discrimination Incident Report Form and can be found on the Kenyon website under the Office of Civil Rights.

Maymuna Abdi ’18 is an international studies major from Hilliard, Ohio. You can contact her at abdim@kenyon.edu.