What is Think About It?

On Oct. 3, Vice President for Student Affairs Meredith Harper Bonham ’92 sent an email to the student body announcing the implementation of “Think About It,” a required online module focused on education on sexual assault, dating violence and drug and alcohol use. “My colleagues and I believe that the information presented is incredibly important — so important, in fact, that completion of the course is required in order for you to register for classes in the spring.” wrote Harper Bonham in the email.

This school-mandated initiative is intended to help tackle the ongoing issue of sexual misconduct on campus, among others. Developed by the organization CampusClarity, “Think About It” and other, similar courses by different groups are used by many American colleges and universities. The interactive program presents information using characters and simulations designed to be realistic and relatable to college students. Students click through different questions and scenarios to learn about issues such as the role alcohol plays in hookup culture or the effects drugs have on the body. First-year students were required to complete the course prior to the beginning of the fall 2016 semester, and all other students must complete the course by Nov. 2.

During the course, students are asked to report information such as how frequently they drink and have sexual intercourse. The collected data is anonymous, but aggregated data will be collected by the College for administrative use.