Moving in brings fear and freedom in equal measure

Leaving home for college is undeniably daunting. A year ago, I was certainly excited about the prospect of college, but actually getting there was daunting, especially taking into account the speed at which my parents dropped me off. We got to campus, brought my possessions into my dorm, partially made the bed and then they were off.

Prior to leaving, my dad took a photo of me. In the photo, which he instagrammed, I point uncomfortably at a parking sign. My face is bright red and there are tears in my eyes.

I watched the car drive away. Mom’s dainty hand lingered out the window, waving in my direction. Tears ran down my face. I hid behind a tree. Later that day, I got a voicemail from my dad reassuring me I was absolutely capable of doing this. That was true for me, and it is also true for all of you.

You are all ready. Last year, you were the eldest at your school, on top of the world and graduating with accolades and a diligent work ethic. That is all still there. The wisdom and confidence you acquired are not fleeting, your environment and context have just changed. Should this transition be daunting and scary? Of course. Bask in this. Allow yourself this freedom and autonomy.

One morning you will wake up, and this campus will be familiar and college won’t seem like something you’ve been acting out, like playing house. Your vernacular and references will become those of the Kenyon community, and you will have become a professional college student.

College is not the best four years of your life, but perhaps it will be the best four years of your life thus far. Do what you wish, as no one can tell you not to anymore. If you find someone trying to, ignore them. But, that being said, call your parents from time to time. They want to hear from you.

Allow me to offer some sage advice from my middle school history teacher: “Have fun, study esoteric things and, oh, yeah, stay in touch.” And if all else fails, you can always take refuge behind a tree.

Eve Bromberg ’19 is undeclared from Brooklyn, N.Y. Contact her at bromberge@kenyon.edu.