Spurning Kenyon Fund punishes future students

To the editors:

In “Seniors should shun Kenyon Fund” (April 14), Matthew Eley ’15 misunderstands the purpose of giving to Kenyon. The Kenyon Fund does not support building projects, and contributing to it does not imply approval of any specific project. Rather, giving to the Kenyon Fund secures Kenyon’s future by supporting academics, athletics and financial aid.

Mr. Eley also ignores a great example of student/administration partnership. President Decatur has personally pledged $2,500 to the Class of 2016’s senior gift — the establishment of a fund for currently underfunded community service initiatives — when Kenyon Fund participation reaches 75 percent (it is currently at 65 percent).

As graduation approaches, it’s easy to give in to nostalgia, “thinking of Kenyon only as it was for me,” as Mr. Eley says. But if the previous nearly 200 years of alumni had thought this way, we would have no KAC, Peirce or even Middle Path. No classes in film or neuroscience, and no internships or summer research. No students of color, no international students and no women.

Everyone has the right to give or not to give. But please, don’t shun the Kenyon Fund to keep Kenyon preserved in the past. Support it, to ensure Kenyon’s future.

Sincerely,

David Hoyt ’14

Alumni Philanthropy Fellow