To the editors:

I was surprised when I read the latest Collegian and learned the librarians had lost their faculty voting privileges. What was more surprising, however, was that the Collegian editors considered it appropriate to comment on the issue at all.

Admittedly, I have no personal opinion on the issue of whether the librarians should have a vote in faculty meetings — nobody will deny they constitute an absolutely invaluable part of the Kenyon community. What I know for certain, however, is that part of the tacit contract I entered into with Kenyon was to trust the faculty to make decisions regarding my education.

When the editorial staff claimed the process to determine who was considered voting faculty could have been more “transparent,” they were correct. Their implicit suggestion that the faculty somehow should have been more transparent is misguided.

In our age of rising administrative presence on college campuses across the country, it becomes hard to remember the faculty are, for lack of a better term, special. They are the ones who have gone through years of education and, for many, a rigorous process to gain tenure, thereby earning their academic rights.

One of the most fundamental things we are paying for in a private, liberal arts institution is a faculty that gets to remain free from the pressures of the populace or the government. If the editorial staff would prefer a school with an open faculty meeting that is responsive to the whims of undergraduates, I would suggest looking into a different type of school. For myself, and at least some of my peers, I remain content with continuing to trust the faculty to make choices absent the pressure of students or administrators.

Respectfully,

Evan Cree Gee ’18