I am happy that student rights are being contested. Student opinion should certainly be considered in any administrative decision. Yet I feel that the student discussion is willfully blind to the larger Knox County community.

The problems that face our local community are certainly considerable: rising unemployment, decreasing educational opportunities and a heroin and methamphetamine epidemic. This current administration, to its credit, has been making a concerted effort to resolve the Kenyon/Knox County divide. 

What pains me about reading recent student discussion is that it often comes across as insular and naïve: These discussions do not sufficiently articulate these larger issues and are therefore easy to discredit. Jake Griffith-Rosenberger’s ’16 recent “Call to Action” letter, which considers the Student Union issue from a broader and more global perspective is a step in the right direction. Student input is valued by the administration, but only if we have smarter activism that takes these regional and global issues into due consideration.

Kind regards,

Wyatt Sarafin ’16