Thank you for your article on Kenyon’s creative writing program (“For literary college, about half get into writing courses,” Oct. 22). I would like to offer more information — information I ought to have given the reporter when she asked me about a potential increase in the number of creative writing courses. The number actually has been increasing over the past five years, largely in response to student demand. 

From 2007 to 2011, we averaged only three creative writing courses each spring. Since then, we have offered on average more than five spring-semester application-only workshops. And counting the recently added open-enrollment workshops (ENGL 150) and our senior capstone seminars in creative writing (ENGL 405), the total has lately been even higher: nine creative writing courses for spring of 2015 and 10 for spring of 2016. 

As your article notes, many factors determine the number of courses we offer. Sometimes, more demand results from our efforts to meet it. When we changed our rules to allow first-year students to apply for spring-semester workshops, for example, we created some of the demand represented this year by the total 158 applicants. We continue to watch these situations closely and to do everything possible to maintain Kenyon’s special status as a “literary college.”

Jesse Matz

Chair, Department of English

William P. Rice Professor of English and Literature