Dear Emily: Need-Some Threesome

Dear Emily,
My girlfriend and I are looking to spice up our bedroom shenanigans. One of our mutual friends is really hot and we want to figure out a way that we can ask her to join us in the bedroom without freaking her out or ruining our friendships. What can we do?
Sincerely yours,
Need-Some Threesome

Dear Need-Some Threesome,
I appreciate your honesty in this submission. There’s not tons of advice I can give you in this column (I’ve never been intrigued or inclined enough to be a part of a threesome), but I’ll do my best. I guess where you’ll have to start is gauging the interest of this hot third party. If she’s your friend, it’s likely you already have some knowledge of her sexual preferences, how adventurous she is and if she’d be willing to be part of something like what you’re proposing. You’re also going to have to weigh the pros and cons of asking her. How will it affect your relationship? Is it worth ruining a friendship with her over this? If the friendship isn’t something you particularly value or isn’t very strong, or if you’re 99-percent sure she would be down, I say go for it. I’m all about taking risks lately, if the possible gain is worth it. In the end, it all depends on how much you value the friendship, and how likely you think she is to say yes. That said, you really need to be careful in how you approach the topic. Conversations like these can easily scare people away, or make them uncomfortable. I wouldn’t bring it up out of the blue, and certainly not over text. Feel out the situation, do it in person, and hope for the best. Good luck! I applaud your adventurousness.

Love,

Emily
Emily Sakamoto ’16 is an English major with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in messing with people’s personal lives, whether they ask for the advice or not, from North Oaks, Minn. Contact her at sakamotoe@kenyon.edu