Last week’s Collegian article “Three years later, NCAs stand solid” quoted Assistant Professor of Political Science Michelle Mood as saying that “because students who live in apartments are able to afford nicer housing, they come from more privileged backgrounds and their complaints may be due to the fact that they are used to a certain level of luxury.” This is not necessarily true, though, since the Kenyon College Board of Trustees and senior administration of the College now fund the difference between a standard double room in a dormitory and the cost of an apartment double for seniors who receive need-based financial aid. According to Director of Financial Aid Craig Daugherty, “This was implemented this year and the first class of students impacted are currently living in the apartments.” Individual students and the Diversity Advisory Council, now a part of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, brought this issue to the administration about two years ago and measures were taken to equalize this particular housing opportunity before the beginning of the 2014-15 academic school year.

—Deb Malamud ’17