Staff Editorial: Applications should not be required for NCAs

Collegian Staff

It’s time for a change with the North Campus Apartments (NCAs). All other housing on campus is open to all students regardless of academic standing or number of infractions. So why are the NCAs still not available to the entire student body? Even though the NCA application process dropped the GPA requirement, the Office of Housing and Residential Life still has the authority to decide who is eligible for an NCA based on his or her past infractions. The application process requires students to scramble to find a group of four or eight students to collaborate in answering three questions in an effort to prove why they are “worthy.”

Why is an application necessary? Why does ResLife feel that NCAs are not ready to be open to any student? This is the first year the Morgan Apartments are offered in the general lottery, without the GPA requirement. Students may have to wait years, like they waited for the Morgans, until the NCAs become open to everyone.

The NCAs seem relatively untouched compared to the rest of campus housing. Yet, they have already seen better days, regardless of the present student standards for living in them. Even if the NCAs were still pristine, they were built for the purpose of providing housing to students, so why shouldn’t all students be able to enjoy them? After all, this is a college campus, and there’s no such thing as a pristine college apartment. No matter whom ResLife chooses to be eligible for an NCA, the new houses will still endure the wear and tear of any other house on campus, and most definitely drunken mishaps.

On another note, if ResLife continues the application process for NCAs, why must the housing process go through the middleman of a lottery when students could be directly assigned NCAs? This would remove the obscure consequence of eligible students in the NCA lottery receiving a number in the regular Housing Lottery.

This NCA issue brings to light only one out of many problems with the Housing Lottery. Because students cannot live off campus, everyone should have full rights to what Kenyon housing has to offer, despite his or her past faults.