Dear Lauren,

I’m just now starting to make good friends on campus, and I really like these people. I worry that when it comes time to choose roommates, these people will choose people they knew first and I’ll be left alone.

– Worrying Friend

Dear Worrying Friend,

Housing lottery season is a dark time for all of us. Forget the process of picking a roommate; wait until you get to the actual lottery on April 12. People enter as friends and leave as enemies. And there are many, many tears. There’s nothing quite comparable to watching your top housing selection flash before your eyes, and then seeing your second, third, fourth (eventually you’ll lose count) picks disappear as well.

So what’s the game plan when it comes to picking roommates? There is none. People might have an idea of who they want to live with, but that all goes up in smoke once lottery numbers are emailed out. Then comes the manic frenzy as would-be roommates suddenly drop each other in cutthroat decisions and best friends transform into ex-friends. In my humble opinion, the housing lottery is the litmus test for friendships at Kenyon College. If your relationship can withstand the Lottery to Hell, then y’all are officially BFFL (Best Friends for Life).

Despite my generally somber attitude toward the housing process, I am going to bestow upon you a few gems of advice I wish I’d had before I embarked on this journey. Who knows, maybe they will save you a few of the broken friendships I lost along the way. That being said, I would wait until lottery numbers are sent out before you start worrying about potential roommates. After that, you and your group of friends collectively should figure out the best way to pair up so that you can all live relatively close to one another. That way, no one will be left out and you’ll get to continue to build upon the relationships you have already begun.

Worry not, Worrying Friend! Soon you shall be Un-Worrying Friend, and perhaps, even, Happy Friend!

Lauren Toole is a senior English major from Belmont, N.C. She is one of the editors-in-chief of the Collegian, and has both loved and lived.