Student Council discusses inauguration, Earth Week events

On Sunday, Student Council met to discuss President Julie Kornfeld’s upcoming inauguration, Earth Week events and the approval of a new student organization.

The meeting began with several event promotions. Isabel Braun ’26, chair of the Buildings, Grounds and Sustainability Committee, announcing the upcoming grand opening of the pollinator garden behind Gund Commons. The garden will open on Monday at 4:15 p.m., one week from Earth Day. Braun added that students will be able to plant a flower of their choice from a selection of native species. Social Board Representative Chloe Goldstein ’25 promoted the Build-A-Stuffie event, where students can create their own stuffed animals. The event is happening on Thursday to coincide with National Pet Day. Goldstein added that more news about Summer Sendoff — such as who the live artist might be — will be forthcoming. Student Council members also encouraged the student body to view the solar eclipse, which occurred on Monday. 

Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25 advertised the ongoing Student Council elections. The survey was sent out on Monday to the student body, and voting will close on Friday.  

Following officer reports, Director of Campus Events Howard Grier spoke to Student Council about Kornfeld’s upcoming inauguration, which will occur on Saturday at 11 a.m. in the Lowry Center. Before the official installation, Grier highlighted a handful of events that students may want to participate in: the a cappella cabaret and the illumination of Old Kenyon (Old K) on Friday. The cabaret, which will take place at 9:30 p.m. on Friday, will feature all 10 a cappella groups on campus. The illumination of Old K, a rare tradition that only takes place when a new president is inaugurated, will occur just after the a cappella cabaret. 

After Kornfeld’s official inauguration on Saturday morning, Grier encouraged students to attend an all-campus dance party that night, which will be in Peirce Dining Hall from 8 p.m. to midnight. The dance party, which is open to all students, will feature an ’80s cover band, a 360 photo booth and free food for all attendees. Peirce will be closed to students for dinner, but Gund Commons will have free pizza, and Peirce Express will be open as well. 

Following Grier, the Council then moved to approve a new student organization: Model United Nations (Model UN). Yaell Urrunaga ’27 and Zoe Trexel ’27, provisional general secretary and provisional deputy general secretary, respectively, gave their presentation for approval. “We noticed there were no debate-oriented clubs on campus,” Urrunaga said. “Admissions advertises that there are, so we are interested in bringing a debate-oriented club back to Kenyon.” 

Trexel agreed and emphasized that Model UN wouldn’t be solely restricted to Kenyon’s campus. “We think this would bring a lot to campus, because it allows us to create connections with other universities.” The organization was approved unanimously. 

Student Council will next meet on Sunday at 7 p.m. in Chalmers Library room 302. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.