Business and Finance Committee awards $139,551 to clubs

On Sunday, Student Council held its penultimate meeting for the 2023-24 academic year. The main points of discussion were the official introduction of the 2024-25 Student Council, changes to both the Student Council and the Business and Finance Committee’s (BFC) bylaws and the semesterly budget allotment for student organizations in the fall semester.

After the conclusion of the Council’s special election on Friday, Vice President for Student Life Taylor Womack ’24 officially introduced the 2024-25 Student Council. This included the newly elected Buildings, Grounds and Sustainability Chairperson Abby Warshauer ’27 and the co-Vice Presidents for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Hannah Sussman ’25 and Guagui Vallejos ’25. Social Board Representative Chloe Goldstein ’25 reported that Social Board has elected a new six-member executive board for the upcoming academic year as well. 

Following officer reports, the Council updated its bylaws to include further provisions, which  encourage the Director of Operations to maintain communications between the Council and the student body in a timely manner. The Council voted to approve this amendment with only one reading, as the bylaw addition was a non-policy change that did not significantly change the responsibilities of the position. 

The bulk of this week’s meeting was dedicated to the BFC’s allocations going into the fall 2024 semester. Vice President of the BFC Daniel Kowalczyk ’24 outlined the semesterly allocations for each student organization, which were settled after nearly nine hours of deliberation from the BFC. The total amount awarded across 48 student organizations came to $139,551 after an initial request sum of almost $200,000. 

Fewer than half of student organizations received full funding — including the Collegian — with the majority receiving partial status or other recommendations. The Horn Gallery received the most funding, just shy of $20,000. The recently formed Model United Nations was granted $2,144 for tournament use. The Environmental Campus Organization had its allotment increased to $80 for a band setup fee in preparation for Oktoberfest, previously having been awarded nothing. Two other organizations received no funding: the Finance Club, which was encouraged to approach the Career Development Office to organize a networking event instead, and the Kokosingers, who did not show up to the semesterly allocation. 

The BFC bylaws were also updated for austerity measures with new language relating to the Student Activity budget. In particular, Social Board’s allocation was reduced from 30% of total Student Activity Fee holdings to 25%, with supplemental allocation meetings planned for the fall semester. Any unused funding for the Class Councils will be returned to the BFC if left unspent, barring senior fees to be kept by each class for future reunions and alumni events. The BFC’s ‘Fun Funds’ were also restricted to two allotments per organization, previously unrestricted.

Student Council will meet for a final time this academic year on Sunday at 7 p.m. in Chalmers Library room 302. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.