Student Council elections conclude: Sun wins re-election

On Monday, the Student Life Committee announced the results of the 2024-25 Student Council Election in an email sent to the student body. Most notable was the re-election of Marissa Sun ’25 as Student Council President. There were only three contested races in this year’s election.

On the Executive Committee, Sun is the only member returning to her position. The other executive officers will be serving on the committee for the first time — Andrew Pilat ’25 will serve as Vice President of Academic Affairs, Drew Sutherland ’25 will serve as Vice President of Student Life and Eun Hae Lillig ’25 will serve as Vice President of Business & Finance.

Incoming class presidents will also be serving in presidential positions for the first time, with Will Bryant ’25 as Senior Class President, Fiona Hendryx ’26 as Junior Class President and Juliette Leclerc ’27 as Sophomore Class President. As for Committee Chairs, both Aakash Gunturu ’26 and Madelin Vandeberg ’25 will be returning to their positions as Chair of the Housing & Dining Committee and Chair of the Campus Safety & Wellness Committee, respectively. 

In total, 436 students voted in this year’s election, a 60.1% decrease in voter turnout from the 2023-24 election and an 89.6% decrease from the 2022-23 election. Rising seniors cast the most ballots with a reported 187 votes, followed by rising juniors who provided 112 votes, rising sophomores who provided 97 votes and graduating seniors who provided 40 votes. 

“I think that it’s always interesting to see what may be influencing turnout. Sometimes it can be weather, sometimes it can be timing,” Vice President for Student Affairs Celestino Limas said in an interview with the Collegian. “For me, one of the things I want to try and make certain that we talk with not just students, but [with the Office of] Student Engagement about: are there things we can be doing to encourage students to be more participatory in the process?”

Another opportunity for students to cast their ballots is fast approaching. Two positions lacked applicants during the general election process, resulting in a special election that will be held to determine the Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and the Chair of the Building, Grounds & Sustainability Committee. An email sent by the Student Life Committee on Wednesday announced six candidates for Vice President of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and three candidates for Chair of the Building, Grounds & Sustainability Committee. The ballot will close Friday at noon.