Spring dog parade brings enthusiasm despite rainy weather

Despite the weather, community members still lined Middle Path for EDM’s semesterly Dog Parade. | BRITTANY LIN

On Friday, Epsilon Delta Mu (EDM) hosted their semesterly Dog Parade on Middle Path. Despite the rainy weather, droves of students and community members lined the path as the dogs and their owners marched toward Samuel Mather Hall, where the judging ceremony took place. 

The parade served as a fundraiser for the Knox County Animal shelter via the Dogs of Knox fund. Prior to the parade, students, faculty and community members could buy Dunkin’ Donuts from EDM members in front of the bookstore. EDM also tabled in the Peirce Dining Hall Atrium and sold dog treats to raise money for the shelter the week leading up to the event. 

Unlike the fall semester’s costume-themed parade, the spring parade boasted dogs wearing purple bandanas and Kenyon merchandise. Members of EDM handed dog treats out to the crowd before the dogs walked down the path. Using these tasty treats, any dog lover could entice the dogs to come greet them.

EDM also selected three judges from the faculty and administration to hand out a number of awards. Vice President of Student Affairs Celestino Limas, Visiting Assistant Professor of English and Humanities Kelly Fleming and Assistant Professor of Women’s & Gender Studies Jessica Pruett all served as judges, awarding the premier dogs in the categories of best dressed, best wag, best strut, best name, best smile and looks most like owner.

“The weather couldn’t dampen the attendance and the enthusiasm of people which was great to see,” Limas said in an interview with the Collegian. “EDM worked so hard on this, and to see it still continue, I think it was a nice testament for how hard they worked.” He added that one of his favorite moments of the afternoon was seeing community members respond to the dogs as he watched new connections form between dogs and strangers. 

Students were thrilled to see the parade kick off the weekend of Inauguration events. “It was a good break from some Friday afternoon work and an eventful start to an eventful weekend!” Mariah Szabo ’26 said in a message to the Collegian. “The weather was less than ideal, but we lined up on Middle Path with our umbrellas anyway. Despite the rain, it was still fun to see the dogs — some of them even came to stand under our umbrellas with us!”

Many students braved the weather in order to get their canine content. “When we first got out there it wasn’t too bad, just a little drizzle, but by the time the dogs really started making their way down the path, it was getting pretty bad.” Toby Hughes ’26 said in an interview with the Collegian. “Luckily, we had some umbrellas, seemed like most people along the path did, so there was a fun sense of ‘we’re all in this together.’” Hughes weighed in on the dog treats, which were being given out along Middle Path, relaying that though they did not taste great, they didn’t taste so bad either. 

“Big props to all the dogs and dog owners that still made the trek. Despite the weather, it was a super fun event,” Noah Dean ’26 said in an interview with the Collegian

Sports Editor Micah Arenstein ’26 contributed to reporting.