New salon and spa business to open in downtown Gambier

The Marlow Salon Spa will move into Farr Hall. | COURTESY OF PEPPER CONSTRUCTION

The Marlow Salon Spa is expected to move into the commercial rental space at 112 Gaskin Avenue by the start of the 2024-25 school year, according to Vice President for Facilities, Planning and Sustainability Ian Smith P’24’27. Currently located on Coshocton Avenue in Mount Vernon, the beauty salon will move in next to the Gambier Deli once renovations are completed this summer. 

Construction of the buildings at 112 and 114 Gaskin Avenue finished right before the 2019-20 academic year. Though the upstairs apartments were occupied by students that fall, the rapid onset of the pandemic prevented the first-floor commercial rent spaces from being leased. The College suspended the leasing process of these spaces during the pandemic, opting to repurpose them as classrooms between fall 2020 and spring 2023. Now that student density in classroom spaces is no longer a concern, these commercial spaces have regained the opportunity to bring new business to the Village.

“The intent was to return them to commercial rental spaces as originally approved by the Village Planning & Zoning commission, as soon as they were no longer needed as classrooms,” Smith wrote in an email to the Collegian

Since its establishment in 2014, the Aveda-certified salon has offered hair, nail and massage services to Mount Vernon. Sarah Marlow, the owner of the Marlow Salon Spa, expressed her excitement regarding the upcoming move to Gambier. “I have always loved the Village of Gambier and all it has to offer,” Marlow wrote in an email to the Collegian. “The newly remodeled downtown seemed like the perfect place to move the salon and become a part of such a wonderful community.”

Marlow has been drawn to Gambier’s tight-knit community and walkable village for a while; the move to Gambier has been in the works for a few months. “This has been an idea that I have thought about for quite some time,” she wrote. “For the past few months things started falling into place and I felt it was the right time to make the move.”

According to Marlow, the beauty salon will accept K-Cards after the move: “We are excited to become a part of the Gambier community and look forward to sharing our business with residents and students!”