Honors Day recognizes student and faculty contributions

Campbell, Sussman, Sun and Ramirez | COURTESY OF GRAHAM STOKES

Kenyon College celebrated Honors Day on Tuesday with a ceremony in Rosse Hall. President Julie Kornfeld presided over the ceremony, while Professor of Physics Paula C. Turner served as Faculty Marshal.

At the ceremony, the College presented humanitarian awards to Chevaugn Campbell ’24, who received the The E. Malcolm Anderson Cup award; Marissa Sun ’25 and Hannah Sussman ’25, who received the Doris B. Crozier Award, and Yadhira Ramirez ’24, who received the Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award. Kenyon also awarded three honorary degrees to members of the community: Steven S. Fischman ’63, Joshua Thomas Radnor ’96 and Karen Buchwald Wright P’05 ’09.

Recognized for his work as an International Pre-Orientation Leader, Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and an active member of Men of Color, Campbell was the recipient of the E. Malcolm Anderson Cup, an award presented annually to the student who contributed the most to Kenyon during this academic year as voted by Kenyon community members.

“Chevaugn’s commitment to fostering inclusivity, supporting academic success and enhancing the Kenyon student experience has been one of the driving forces of his time at Kenyon,” said Vice President for Student Affairs Celestino Limas in his address. “[He] has strived to create a supportive community for affinity students on a predominantly white campus… Chevaugn’s efforts to enhance the Kenyon community reflect his deep-seated beliefs in the importance of inclusivity, mentorship and academic support.”

President of ¡Adelante!, a Spanish teaching assistant and volunteer, Ramirez was awarded the Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award, which is presented annually to the student who has best promoted social justice through service activities and programs as exemplified by the life and work of Martin Luther King Jr.

“Yadhira’s commitment to supporting her peers in their Spanish language journey and her passion for community service projects have made her an invaluable asset to both ¡Adelante! and the wider campus community,” Limas said. 

Two students were awarded the Doris B. Crozier Award: Sun and Sussman. Sun, the current Student Council President, POCapella president and Kenyon Asian Identities co-president, was highlighted for her advocacy toward affordability and equity.

“Marissa’s commitment to public service, coupled with her impressive leadership skills and academic achievements, make her a highly deserving candidate for the Doris B. Crozier Award,” Limas said.

Founder of Disabled/Chronically Ill Student Organization (DISCO), Community Advisor and Orientation Leader, Sussman was the other recipient of the award. 

“Hannah’s skills for advocacy and community building are impressive, and proves her to uphold the values of the Doris B. Crozier Award,” Limas said. 

Throughout the ceremony, other students were recognized for their contributions to campus. Fulbright Fellowship recipients included Niccolo Comini ’24, Julia Conner ’24, Claire Haynes ’23 and Madeline Kwasnick ’24. A complete list of recipient names and country assignments will be included in the 2024 Commencement program.

Other U.S. Department of State-sponsored awards included the Barry M. Goldwater Excellence in Education Scholarship awarded to both Dominick Frost ’26 and Rachael Tomasko ’25, and the Critical Language Study Award awarded to Sam Bowden ’24, who was also the recipient of the James C. Gaither Junior Fellowship.

Additional research fellowships sponsored by organizations outside of Kenyon included the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program — awarded to Freya Beinart ’24 for demonstrated potential in biophysics and Phillip Diamond ’24 for demonstrated potential in physics — and the Henry G. Dalton Fellowship in American Studies — awarded to Lauryn Rauschenberger ’24 for her leadership and scholarly achievements in American Studies. 

Kenyon-specific awards included the Elmer A. Graham Endowed Scholarship and the Jess Willard Falkenstine Award. The scholarship was awarded to Khue Tran ’25, while the Jess Willard Falkenstine Award was awarded to student-athletes Sophia Schmitz ’24 and Israel Zavaleta ’24 for their display of leadership and integrity.

Alumni Joe Boesel ’23 and Mart Niehoff ’23 were recipients of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Postgraduate Award. The North Coast Athletic Conference Scholar-Athlete Award was awarded to seniors Madeleine Garner ’24 and Malcolm Gaynor ’24.

Faculty were also recognized throughout the ceremony as well: Charles P. McIlvaine Professor of English Adele Davidson ’75 received the senior Trustee Teaching Excellence Award, while Associate Professor of Psychology Margaret Stevenson was awarded the junior award. Nominated by the students and faculty, award recipients were selected by the Board of Trustees and each received a check for $5,000 in recognition of their service.

“As we rush headlong into the final weeks of the academic year, this ceremony [offered] us an opportunity to pause and to celebrate the academic achievements of our students,” Kornfeld said in her address. “In celebrating these various achievements, we also affirm Kenyon’s values.”

A complete list of Honors Day award recipients can be found on Kenyon’s website.