Earth Week Events take place in the Village Inn, Pine Grove

A variety of student acts performed in the Pinegrove. | COURTESY OF SIMONE MARTEL

In celebration of Earth Week, a coalition of students and environmental organizations planned and hosted nine events over the week leading up to Earth Day on Monday. The events reduced, reused and recycled environmental and sustainability events, ranging from the opening of the new pollinator garden to a concert at the Pinegrove. 

According to Buildings, Grounds and Sustainability (BGS) Chair Isabel Braun ’26, the coalition was organized last semester by Max Fishman ’26 and Aidan Cullen ’26. The group coordinated with a variety of organizations to put together the events over the week, including Kenyon College Outdoors Club, KCBeeC, the Fiber Arts Club, the Kenyon Farm, trivia at the Village Inn and the Brown Family Environmental Center. 

The Earth Week events as a whole were popular with the student body. Friday’s concert in the Pinegrove, according to organizers, had a significant attendance. The concert featured Dire Coyote, Braun, Amanda Kuo ’26, Susanna Ferguson ’27 and Simone Martel ’27. Weak sunlight leaked through the canopy, and the organizers offered chairs, but most attendees opted for picnic seating. The event lasted roughly an hour, with dozens of students making the trek down to the Pinegrove. “It was really fantastic to see such high levels of engagement,” Braun wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Even when asked to hike all the way up to the Pinegrove for the concert on Friday, Kenyon students showed up, and in large numbers.”

Some Earth Week events had more to do with environmentalism than others. Events like trivia at the Village Inn and the Pinegrove concert were more about getting students informed on sustainability initiatives and getting them in touch with nature on campus, according to the organizers. “Before mobilizing ‘environmental zeal,’ students should know they have something special to care about — and Earth Week did a great job in proving this,” Braun said.“[Environmentalism] reconnects this idea that making the right decisions for the planet is not a novel concept,” Vice President of Student Affairs Celestino Limas said in an interview with the Collegian. “But it’s one that [with] every year that goes by becomes more and more pivotal… I think you’re going to see a lot of people sort of drive attention and encourage students to go to different events. But I think it can be a nice moment for reflection.”