Alice Teall to join Kenyon as Senior Director of Wellness

This past week, Kenyon welcomed new Senior Director of Wellness Alice Teall, who will begin her tenure on July 1. Interim Director of Wellness Holly Levin will finish her term, which began after former Director Chris Smith departed. 

Teall currently works at The Ohio State University College of Nursing and has over three decades of experience in the field. In the position of Senior Director of Wellness, she will oversee Health Services, Counseling Services and Health Promotion, according to the job posting description. In the past, the Director has also organized events such as health clinics for the College to administer the COVID-19 booster and initiatives like Sexual Responsibility Week.

Vice President for Student Affairs Celestino Limas, the chair of the search committee, explained that the pool for the position was very deep, spanning a nationwide search for the next Director. According to Limas, Teall understood the College’s focus on student wellness. “Everything revolves around our students,” Limas said in an interview with the Collegian. “We have no graduate students, we have no online students, so the undergraduate experience is paramount.” 

Teall made it clear to Limas and others on the search committee that undergraduate students were the demographic she wanted to serve. “Wellness is such an important facet, not just for her personal identity, but I think professionally,” Limas said. “She really is… excited about putting her foot down on the accelerator.”

It was also important to the search committee that they had a student voice in the process every step of the way. Leah Kessler ’24, the chair of the Safety and Wellness Committee, served on the search committee as its student voice. Kessler was the only student on the committee. 

“Leah’s voice is something special that we all need to be mindful of because Leah’s experience is what’s going to shape what we’re doing here in the process,” Limas said. “Not that other people on the committee weren’t valuable, but Leah represents the very demographic that Alice’s position would serve.”

In an interview with the Collegian, Kessler emphasized her main priorities during the process. “One thing that was a priority for me was finding a candidate who would value student voice and engage with the student body. So that was something I went into even before ever seeing the pool, something I decided would be something I would look for.” According to Kessler, the search process was lengthy, requiring interviews, reference checks, background checks and meetings. Kessler added that they completed a lot of internal work —  to organize the search committee and proceedings for the process — before posting the hiring position.

Kessler was optimistic for Teall’s tenure, explaining that it’s great to have a new face interested in the workings of the campus. “I’m excited to see how her time, her career, here unfolds in relation to Kenyon’s new strategic plan,” she said. “It’ll be really interesting to see how all of this in conjunction with President Kornfeld’s background in public health unravels to support this updated mission post-COVID at the College.” Kessler is also looking forward to the increased ease in facilitating day-to-day operations with the installation of a set Director to support the Cox Health and Counseling Center.

Kessler encouraged students to ask questions and start conversations with Dr. Teall once she is on campus next semester, especially if they are passionate about health programming on campus. “I think she’ll be really eager to get to know the campus and the student body,” Kessler said.