Weekend events and games canceled due to snowstorm

Middle Path during the snowstorm | KATIE SPARVERO

On Friday, the National Weather Service announced a winter storm warning for Columbus and central Ohio. Beginning on Friday afternoon, Kenyon experienced a sudden several inches of snowfall and a rapid drop in temperatures overnight, leading to the delay or cancellation of several College-sponsored events. Men’s baseball had three games postponed over the weekend, as well as women’s lacrosse, which was only able to play one quarter before their game was called off due to the worsening weather. 

Snow began in the early afternoon on Friday, and quickly covered campus within a couple of hours. “What’s really crazy is how quickly the snow came,” Sydney Goldstein ’24 wrote in a message to the Collegian. “I went into my 2:10 [p.m.] English class and it was all sunny, and when I walked out at 3:30 [p.m.], I was walking into a winter wonderland.” 

As winter storm warnings and snow emergencies went into effect across central and northeast Ohio, many Kenyon sports teams had their games canceled or affected by the snow. “For baseball, they know that these early games on the schedule are always dependent on weather conditions,” Director of Athletics, Fitness & Recreation Jill McCartney wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Of course, it is disappointing to prepare for games only to have a snowstorm force the team to cancel.” 

Women’s lacrosse had its season opener against John Carroll University canceled after the first quarter due to worsening field conditions in University Heights, Ohio. “For women’s lacrosse, I imagine it was even more heartbreaking — as they had gone through warm-ups and had started the game before it was canceled,” McCartney said. 

In addition, men’s tennis had its Feb. 17 match against Case Western Reserve University postponed, as well as women’s tennis, also against Case Western. 

Other events also saw cancellations, particularly the Poetry Potluck, which was scheduled to occur on Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. at the Brown Family Environmental Center Resource Center. The potluck was canceled indefinitely, though an email to the student body expressed optimism about rescheduling the event in the future. 

Travel on and off campus was also affected by the snow. Kate Goldberg ’24 and Goldstein had planned for a trip that weekend, and managed to make it safely off campus before conditions worsened. “We were worried about the roads, since we had plans to go off campus for the weekend, but thankfully everyone drove safely,” Goldstein wrote in a message to the Collegian

Goldberg agreed. “The snow was really pretty, but I had already forgotten how cold it could get here,” she wrote in a message to the Collegian. “The nice weather before the snow lured me into a false sense of security.” 

Road conditions continued to worsen over the course of the weekend. The Columbus Dispatch reported that nearly 4.5 inches of snow fell on Columbus over the weekend, though the snowfall slowed overnight. Some counties closer to Columbus reached Level 1 snow emergency levels, which warns for ice and drifting snow. According to Fox8, the winter storm warning impacted road conditions across northeast and central Ohio, resulting in over 200 car crashes from Friday to Saturday night in the Cleveland area. 

While some students at Kenyon managed to make it off campus for the weekend, other students found themselves stuck in Gambier, struggling to traverse campus. “The winter weather was pretty inconvenient, it gets really slushy, and my shoes are white, and my pants get kind of muddy,” Nina Esteghamat ’27 said in an interview with the Collegian. “And there are a lot of mud footprints in my dorm. I can’t get off [campus], I don’t have a car, but if I were to drive I would be nervous.” 

Despite the rough weather and event cancellations, students found ways to enjoy the surprise snowfall. Several students trekked to the top of the hill outside of Mather Residence Hall with sleds in tow, while others found their way to Duff Street for a less busy sledding spot. 

Though Kenyon is no stranger to power outages amid bad weather, Vice President for Student Affairs Celestino Limas expressed that there were no issues with power loss across campus. He emphasized that despite the poor weather, students on campus seemed to enjoy their time in the snow. 

“Snow in Gambier is very pretty, but it can make traversing the campus difficult,” Limas said in an interview with the Collegian. “I did see some tracks on Saturday down the hill towards Duff Street, so I think some students were active sledding, which is always a wonderful thing as long as people were safe.”