Student Council discusses future switch to credit hours

On Sunday, Student Council met to discuss the approval of a new student organization, a College-wide switch from credit units to credit hours and upcoming Social Board events. 

Vice President for Student Life Taylor Womack ’24 kicked off the meeting by encouraging students to attend an informational session hosted by the Office of Social Engagement (OSE) regarding Kenyon Connect (KCon), a communication app to streamline discussion between OSE and student organizations. Womack recommended that leaders of student organizations attend, as the usage of KCon will increase over the semester. She added that both the application to create a new student organization and the application to run for Student Council are still open. The application for new student organizations will close March 1 at 11:59 p.m., while the Student Council application will close March 20 at 11:59 p.m. 

Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Chevaugn Campbell ’24 reminded the student body that the application for spring break housing is still open. The late fee increased from $25 to $50 starting on Monday. Campbell also announced that the Center for Global Engagement will host a spring break trip to Columbus on the Sunday spring break begins. 

Campus Senate co-Chair Cooper Bertschi ’26 updated the Council on Campus Senate’s recent discussion regarding College policies on civil rights and value statements. Campus Senate plans to continue reviewing materials, and will provide access to these policies on Kenyon’s website. 

Bertschi also announced that Kenyon will switch from academic credit units to credit hours in the coming years, following changes made by the faculty council. “This won’t apply to existing students, but it’s going to be gradually implemented with incoming students over the next four years, which will make things so much easier for transfer credits and grad school and the like,” Bertschi said. 

Safety and Wellness Committee chairperson Leah Kessler ’24 encouraged students to speak with Interim Director of Wellness and Associate Director of Health Promotion Holly Levin about the peer health educator program, as applications for the program will be opening soon. Levin will be tabling in the Peirce Dining Hall atrium this upcoming Friday. 

Housing and Dining Committee chairperson Aakash Gunturu ’26 asked students to return any dishes they may have taken to Peirce, and Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25 discussed the recent Board of Trustees winter meeting, along with the tuition increase to $87,150. 

Social Board Representative Chloe Goldstein ’25 encouraged students to attend an evening event held at Wiggin Street Coffee, which will take place on Feb. 29 and feature live music. In addition, she added that the Columbus Coffee Truck will be on campus on March 1 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. 

Lastly, Dean of Students Brian Janssen announced that April 10 will be a day of service, where students will be able to get involved with the local community via on- and off-campus events. He reminded students that President Julie Kornfeld’s inauguration will be on April 13. 

Following officer reports, Student Council heard from Katherine Coffin ’26 on a new student organization: MINDcraft, a club focused on mindfulness and self-care techniques. “By encouraging mindfulness on Kenyon’s campus, we will also be creating a culture of open communication about thoughts and feelings, and the ability to improve student relationships with one another,” Coffin said. 

The Council had questions regarding how the organization would receive funding from the Business and Finance Committee (BFC), as several of the proposed purchases by Coffin — such as fuzzy socks or journals — would be denied under BFC bylaws for being private or give-away items. The Council also had questions about what space MINDcraft would use for meditation or mindfulness to avoid noise, to which Coffin answered that she had a list of several options. 

The Council voted unanimously to approve the organization. 

Student Council will next meet Sunday at 7 p.m. in Chalmers Library room 302. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.