Student Council discusses sustainability, renovation stance

On Sunday, Student Council convened to discuss the Business and Finance Committee’s (BFC) allocations for student organizations, Kenyon’s sustainability policy and potential changes to building renovation standards.

Vice President for Student Affairs Taylor Womack ’24 began the meeting with a reminder that applications for new student organizations are due by midnight on March 1. Those with questions can email the Student Affairs Committee for help.

Womack also updated the Council regarding Kenyon Connect (KCon), which is now available online. Through the platform, students will be able to interface directly with the Office of Student Engagement and promote and manage their organizations, as well as communicate with their members. 

Womack later announced that Student Council applications for the next academic year opened on Monday. Applicants must plan to live on campus all year to qualify. 

Vice President of the Business and Finance (BFC) Committee Dan Kowalczyk ’24 informed the Council that the BFC is running low on funds. He encouraged student organizations to submit their requests sooner rather than later. The next budget allocation will be held on Monday.

The Council also approved the allocations from the most recent BFC supplementals, allocating over $4,000 in funding for nine of 12 organizations that applied. WKCO 91.9 FM, Athletes for Equality and HIKA did not receive funding. The Multicultural Identities Organization and Chinese Club will jointly fund and organize a Multicultural Fair. 

Although no date has been set, the First-Year Fling will be held in early April, according to First-Year Class President Erik Kim ’27, who was not present at the meeting and conveyed his officer report through Student Council Director of Operations Peter Haywood ’26. 

Building, Grounds and Sustainability (BGS) Committee Chair Isabel Braun ’26 is in discussion with the Junior Class Committee to create pollinator spaces, plan for a student-run garden, implement compost bins and improve campus culture surrounding sustainability. In addition, BGS endorsed a student proposal for construction and renovation standards at Kenyon, which will be taken up for consideration by Student Council.

At the end of the meeting, Student Council voted to approve two new amendments to its bylaws. Under the amendments, which were first read at last week’s meeting, the weight of votes cast by graduating seniors in Council elections would be set to half as much as those cast by students who plan to return to Kenyon. Additionally, the exchange of goods or services for votes would be prohibited — with the exception of pins, stickers and other election memorabilia. The Council voted unanimously to approve the two amendments.

Student Council will next meet Sunday at 7 p.m. in Chalmers Library room 302. Students are welcome to attend in person or remotely.