Student Council approves pair of new student organizations

Finance Committee (BFC) supplementals of the semester and the approval of two new student organizations. 

Vice President for Student Life Taylor Womack ’24 began the meeting by encouraging students to create new student organizations using the new Kenyon Connect (KCon) website or app. The application to do so will be open through March 1. 

Senior Class President Rachel Chen ’24 reminded the senior class to register for Fandango, which will take place on Feb. 9, and to attend senior trivia night on Apr. 3. Chen also announced that financial literacy workshops are now available for seniors.

Safety and Wellness Committee Chair Leah Kessler ’24 spoke about Sexual Responsibility Week, which included free safe-sex resources and STI tests. She also discussed upcoming athletic and fitness events, such as badminton and ping-pong tournaments on Feb. 4 and 11 respectively. Kessler reminded students of the Fitness Resource Kiosk on the second floor of the Lowry Center and announced that applications for a new Peer Health Education program will be open around mid-February. 

Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25 then announced the LOVE project. Initiated last spring semester, the project intends to show appreciation for faculty and staff across various departments. Students will have the opportunity to sign cards at lunch in Peirce Dining Hall, to be delivered with treats to various departments. 

The Council later approved the first BFC allocations of the semester. The BFC allocated $9,000 in total to 14 organizations, with 11 receiving full funding. SERF, the men’s ultimate frisbee team, was denied funding for regionals, with Vice President of the Business and Finance Committee Daniel Kowalczyk ’24 explaining that the decision was made with regard to fair funding across intramural sports on campus. Fiber Arts Club and Outdoors Club were also denied funding, the former for violation of the BFC bylaws in its request and the latter because Outdoors Club did not attend the hearing.

Afterward, the Council heard from two new student organizations: Trans Book Club and Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) sorority. Maya Vaccaro ’24 advocated for Trans Book Club, having been inspired by the course ENGL 391: Special Topic: Transing Queer/Queering Trans. “This club would be a space to engage with different kinds of media centering trans experiences and intersecting identities,” Voccarro said. Student Council unanimously approved the organization.

Sydney May ’26, Delilah Locke ’26, Joy Carstanjen ’26 and Maddie Buckwalter ’26 all advocated for Tri Delta, explaining that the sorority intends to meet a demonstrated need for increased Greek life spaces for women. “In sororities, data from last year indicates that about 60% of the women who participated in the recruitment process did not receive a bid,” Carstanjen said. “The implementation of Tri Delta is essential because Kenyon needs to adapt to student interest.” Tri Delta was also unanimously approved by Student Council and will have a representative from the national charter help guide the process of implementing the sorority on campus. 

Student Council will next meet Sunday in Chalmers Library in room 302 at 7 p.m. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.