Rev. Michael Curry to deliver 2024 Commencement address

The Most Rev. Michael Curry I COURTESY OF KENYON COMMUNICATIONS

The Most Rev. Michael Curry, presiding bishop and primate of The Episcopal Church, will deliver this year’s Commencement address, the College announced in a Monday news bulletin. He will address the Class of 2024 on Samuel Mather Lawn on May 18.

Curry, the Church’s first African American presiding bishop, previously served as the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina and as a priest in parishes in Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio. He is known for his social justice advocacy in the areas of immigration policy, marriage equality and racial reconciliation, according to St. George’s Episcopal Church, and has helped establish summer camps, day care networks and other educational opportunities for children. 

“I think it’s an excellent choice that aligns very much with our mission,” President Julie Kornfeld said in an interview with the Collegian. She highlighted “his vision and his commitment to equity and justice.”

Curry spoke at the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in 2018, giving a highly publicized sermon that the New York Times described as “soaring and magisterial.” He has also presided over the state funerals of President George H.W. Bush and Sen. John McCain, and is the author of five books, most recently Love is the Way: Holding on to Hope in Troubling Times.

The Commencement ceremony will mark his second visit to Kenyon: In 2018, he gave a keynote address focused on community building at the College’s annual Martin Luther King, Jr., “Day of Dialogue” event. 

“There are very few individuals who would be more fitting for giving the Commencement address,” Senior Class President Rachel Chen ’24 said in the news bulletin. “Presiding Bishop Michael Curry will certainly deliver a powerful and compelling message to us, and it will truly be an honor for the Class of 2024, as we prepare to leave Kenyon, to be graced by the wisdom of a great figure who has already left indelible marks on the world.”