Student Council discusses Fandango, communication app 

On Sunday, Student Council met for the first time in the spring semester to discuss a new communication app from the Office of Student Engagement (OSE), Fandango and increased transportation to Columbus and other large metropolitan areas. 

Vice President for Student Life Taylor Womack ’24 kicked off the meeting by welcoming students to apply to the Student Life Committee, as the application will close on Sunday. She also discussed that OSE will be hosting future workshops through Kenyon Connect (KCon), a new app designed to streamline communication between students and administrators. Through KCon, students can also register to create a new student organization. The application will remain open until March 1. 

Dean of Students Brian Janssen also encouraged students to use KCon, and reminded the Council that OSE is still in the process of adding functions to the app, which will increase usage over the course of the semester. “Once it’s fully functioning next fall, it’s going to be a really great asset to the Kenyon campus, and students who want to explore student groups,” he said. 

Janssen also reminded students staying on campus over spring break to fill out their housing request forms before the priority deadline on Feb. 12. After the deadline, students will have to pay a fee in order to accommodate the number of requests Residential Life receives. Janssen added that Colburn Hall — located outside of Bexley Hall — has officially completed renovations and will open for activities and social events once the College determines the space’s capacity. 

Senior Class President Rachel Chen ’24 encouraged seniors to register for Fandango, which will be happening Feb. 9, 100 days before graduation. The event is open to all seniors and faculty members and will be hosted in the Gund Commons Ballroom. In addition, Chen reminded the senior class that a ‘Seniors Only’ trivia night will be hosted on April 3 to promote the Senior Class Challenge. 

Safety and Wellness Committee Chair Leah Kessler ’24 thanked students for participating in last semester’s trial run of the “Caught You In The Act (Of Kindness)” event, and she plans to bring it back for the spring semester. After, Social Board Representative Lynne Bush ’25 spoke about the upcoming Battle of the Bands, an event hosted in collaboration with Horn Gallery on Feb. 10. 

Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25 requested that the student body fill out a survey sent via email regarding feedback on transportation options to Columbus and other large metropolitan areas close to campus. She added that Student Council will collaborate with Social Board to increase access to social activities outside of campus, which will be determined through the feedback received. 

Student Council will next meet Sunday in Chalmers Library in room 302 at 7:00 p.m. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.