Five events receive funding from Bicentennial project fund

COURTESY OF KENYON COMMUNICATIONS

On Monday, the Bicentennial Advisory Committee announced a second round of special project grants sponsoring five upcoming events celebrating Kenyon’s bicentennial. Events include a lecture series from Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of Grinnell College Beronda L. Montgomery, a campus-wide computing colloquium, a performance of Henrik Ibsen’s An Enemy of the People, a panel discussion exploring Kenyon’s history of diversity, equity and inclusion and a subscription to the web-archiving service Archive-It. According to an article posted to Kenyon’s website, “[The Bicentennial Advisory Committee] looks forward to receiving more requests for funding in hopes that Kenyon’s 200th birthday may be filled with community engagement and excitement.” 

On Thursday, Montgomery will give two lectures. The first lecture, “Cultivating Equitable Mentoring Ecosystems,” will explore a collaborative mentorship model, while the second lecture, “Lessons from Plants: Environmental Stewardship for Promoting Access and Success,” will be “an exploration of how plant behavior and adaptation offer valuable insights for human thriving,” according to the official event listing on Kenyon’s website. In addition to funding from the Bicentennial Advisory Committee, these lectures are funded by Faculty Lectureships and the Center for Innovative Pedagogy.

On Feb. 20, Kenyon’s interdisciplinary Program in Computing will host Jon Ippolito, a professor at the University of Maine, to speak on the applications of computing and artificial intelligence in the digital arts and humanities. This will be the Program in Computing’s first campus-wide colloquium.

Performances of Ibsen’s An Enemy of the People will be held at Mount Vernon’s Knox Memorial Theater and Kenyon’s Oden Hall this April. Following the performances, there will be a guided exploration of the themes of Ibsen’s play. Kenyon students and community members will perform alongside professional actors in the production’s cast. The event is being organized by the Public Library of Mount Vernon and Knox County, the Theater of War Productions, the Office for Community Partnerships and the Department of Dance, Drama and Film.

A proposed panel by the Alumni Friends of Disabled Chronically Ill Student Community Organization (DISCO) and current DISCO members is planned for Reunion Weekend on May 24-26, which will explore Kenyon’s work towards fostering a welcoming and accessible environment for people with disabilities over the past 50 years. On the panel, current students and alumni will speak on their experiences at Kenyon, while College administrators and faculty will discuss their dedication to creating a more accessible learning environment and curriculum.

In addition to these events, Special Collections and Archives was approved to purchase a one-year subscription to Archive-It, a web archiving service that allows users to maintain a live archive of website pages, in order to continue its work archiving Kenyon’s digital presence.