Delta Delta Delta to join campus following final approval

Greek Council approved Tri Delta on Nov. 2. | COURTESY OF TRI DELTA

Following approval from the Student Life Committee (SLC), Kenyon will offer a new sorority, Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta), in an effort to expand Greek life opportunities for female-identifying students. The nationally recognized chapter, which is set to come to campus in spring 2024, will contribute to philanthropic efforts ranging from support for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital to the promotion of positive body image. 

Currently, Kenyon Greek life offers four sororities: Alpha Sigma Tau, Epsilon Delta Mu, Theta Delta Phi and Zeta Alpha Pi. However, according to Director of Student Engagement Caleb Young, over 60% of female-identifying students that rushed in spring 2023 either dropped rush or were not offered a bid, a statistic that led several students to seek expansion of the current Greek life offerings. 

Driven by a desire for more Panhellenic spaces for women on campus, Delilah Locke ’26, Sydney May ’26, Joy Carstanjen ’26 and Maddie Buckwalter ’26 approached the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) to identify potential new chapters. With the help of the OSE, the students selected Tri Delta as an organization that would mesh well with the Kenyon community, and began the process of approving the sorority. 

The initial steps of bringing Tri Delta to campus involved obtaining support from Tri Delta Nationals and pitching the organization to Greek Council, which subsequently approved it on Nov. 2. “In particular, we felt it was important that we heard from our current sororities and answered any questions or concerns that they may have before an official vote would take place,” Young wrote in an email to the Collegian

Before Tri Delta is recognized as an official student organization at Kenyon, it must also obtain approval from the SLC in the spring. Following SLC approval, Tri Delta will be established as a chapter after it holds recruitment, which will come after formal recruitment for existing organizations next spring. 

To the students who initiated the process of bringing Tri Delta to campus, a major goal for starting the new chapter is to provide another opportunity for community and camaraderie on campus. For Locke, the defining features of the organization are its shared values of truth, self-sacrifice and friendship — as well as its philanthropic goals. “Tri Delta will offer programming and resources on body image and mental health and create a healthy and supportive community,” she said in an interview with the Collegian

Both Locke and Young emphasized the importance of having an adequate number of Greek life spaces for Kenyon students, as Greek organizations have the potential to provide meaningful connections and opportunities to their members. “Any Greek organization at Kenyon provides the opportunity for students to better connect with one another in both formal and informal settings, the opportunity to forge and develop lifelong bonds to both each other and the organization years after graduation, and help bring a sense of belonging to those who are in the Greek Community at Kenyon,” Young said.

Delilah Locke ’26 is a features editor for the Collegian.