Student Council gives updates on Senior Soirée, trial budget

On Sunday, Student Council met to discuss the upcoming Senior Soirée, approve two new student organizations and establish a trial Student Council Budget for the 2023-24 academic year. 

Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion Chevaugn Campbell ’24 announced that he held four meetings following the establishment of the Committee for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) over the last two weeks: two with Senior Director of Campus Life James Jackson and two with the CDI. These meetings focused on the direction that the CDI will take this academic year and future initiatives Campbell hopes to implement in the upcoming months, such as a comprehensive resource guide for students and reviewing Business and Finance Committee (BFC) anti-racism bylaws. 

Senior Class President Rachel Chen ’24 reminded the Council of the upcoming Senior Soirée, which will be held Nov. 10 and is themed “Heavenly Bodies.” Senior Happy Hour, a kick-off event hosted by the Office of Alumni Engagement, was held on Wednesday evening for the senior class and featured beverages and snacks, as well as alcoholic drinks for seniors who were over 21. 

Sophomore Class President Christiane Betfarhad ’26 and First-Year Class President Erik Kim ’27 also updated the Council on upcoming events for their respective classes. Sophomore Day will be on Oct. 24, and the First Year Class Matriculation will be on Thursday in Rosse Hall. 

Safety and Wellness Committee Chair Madelin Vandeberg ’25 reminded students that Senior Director of Wellness Chris Smith’s last day at Kenyon is this Friday, and she advised students to attend the free flu vaccine clinic, which will be held on Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Peirce Lounge. She also encouraged people to participate in upcoming athletic events, such as bubble soccer and a badminton tournament. 

Dean of Students Brian Janssen updated the Council on Bexley Hall construction and how students can enter the lottery for housing, which will likely be sent out to the student body via email next week. He clarified that the lottery will be random and not based on seniority, and that the Office of Residential Life will work with the Office of Financial Aid to lower Bexley’s housing rate next semester.  

Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25 reminded students to fill out a social space survey, which was sent to the student body via email. She added that Student Council Sundays, a space for all students to engage in Student Council and ask questions, will begin next week in the Chalmers Library tech center. Festival treats and snacks will be available for all attendees. 

The Council voted to approve three requests from the BFC supplementals. Culinary Club, WKCO and Adelante were all unanimously approved and funded in full. 

The Council then voted to approve two new student organizations, the Chinese Culture and Volleyball Clubs. The Chinese Culture Club, headed by club president Hao Yang ’25 and vice president Jinghao Li ’25, intends to share Chinese culture with the Kenyon community through campus-wide events such as movie nights and cosplay events. The Council voted to approve Chinese Culture Club unanimously on the condition that they would remove a funding contingency — a deposit which would protect the organization against unexpected issues or initiatives — from their constitution, as it is not in compliance with BFC bylaws. 

The Volleyball Club, started by Leo Brackett ’26, aims to provide an inclusive and competitive space for students to play and improve their volleyball skills. Brackett added that he hopes for the club to compete against teams at other institutions, similar to other intramural clubs on campus. While intramural organizations require dues for travel and competition, Brackett clarified that the first semester of the Volleyball Club will be non-competitive and not require dues. The Volleyball Club was approved on the condition that the organization adds a finance section to their constitution. 

To finish out the meeting, Student Council voted to create a trial Student Council Budget for the academic year, which will use $2,000 from the discretionary fund. Sun explained that this budget will be used for Council programming such as Student Council Sundays or the Love Project. At the end of the academic year, Student Council will vote to see whether the budget should be continued. The Council unanimously approved the trial budget. 

Student Council will next meet on Sunday, Oct. 22 in Chalmers Library room 302 at 7 p.m. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.