Annual Global Engagement Week features food, friendship

The Center for Global Engagement (CGE) hosted its annual Global Engagement Week, a celebration that incorporates an array of multicultural workshops, panels, art programs and delicious food, from Oct. 16 to 21. 

According to the Kenyon events page, “Global Engagement Week is a week of programming that features intercultural, international or globally-minded activities that are open to students, faculty, staff and other community members with diverse interests and experiences.” The CGE sent out an email in the beginning of the academic year to gauge interest from student organizations and individuals who might want to host a workshop. The breadth of responses ultimately manifested in a packed week, which concluded with a community dinner for international students and friends. Prior to the community dinner, The African Students Association rounded out the week with Taste of Africa on Saturday in Peirce Pub. 

Associate Director of International Students and Scholars and of the CGE Rebecca Eckart explained that student organizations helped to bring this year’s Global Engagement Week to life, as a range of student groups hosted events throughout the week. “We always really appreciate when other groups want to be involved with that week. So it was just kind of hearing back from those groups and talking about what they wanted to do, and figuring out how it all worked in the week,” Eckart said.

Global Engagement Week often reuses events from previous years, while also incorporating new ones. This year, new events ranged from a Vietnamese lacquer painting (sơn mài) workshop run by Chau Vu ’26 on Oct. 19, to a Zumba dance party in the Lowry Center hosted by KenyonFit. 

“We just want there to be something for everybody on the schedule,” said Eckart. “Zumba was also a new one this year that [Fitness and Recreation Coordinator] Tiffany McCallen reached out [about] and wanted to share. We just wanted to have a range of programs that would speak to different people.” 

According to the celebration’s schedule on the Kenyon website, a variety of other events and programs were hosted throughout the week. The Japanese program, in collaboration with Ms. Shoko Otsuka Morto, hosted an Oct. 16 Ikebana demonstration — the Japanese art of flower arrangement — in the Horn Gallery. The CGE and the Career Development Office held Interstride tabling on Middle Path throughout the week, and the Muslim Student Association hosted an open house and interfaith dialogue. In addition, the CGE hosted multiple off-campus study panels, including a French off-campus study panel and a “Teaching English abroad” panel on Oct. 19.

According to Eckart, the week was a major success. “We’re just really pleased by the week, with how many people were involved and with how many people came out to events,” she said. “Most of the events were really well attended and people were excited to be there. So we’re just glad that the community was very involved.”