Student Council discusses modifications to club applications

On Sunday evening, Student Council met for the fourth time this academic year to discuss applications for new student organizations and class committees, Homecoming event planning and adjustments to mailroom hours.  

Vice President of Student Life Taylor Womack ’24 announced that the New Student Organization Application form is open and due Oct. 4 for those interested in starting a new club in the fall semester. Womack also noted changes to the renewal process for clubs. Previously, clubs were required to submit one Campus Contribution each semester, which listed their leadership positions, budget summaries and general contributions to the overall campus community. Now, Campus Contributions only need to be submitted annually in the spring. Womack says changes were made with “the intention of easing some of the barriers for groups to be able to adjust for changes in leadership,” as well as to have clubs waste less time on administrative forms.  

Student Council also voted to approve a new student organization, the Culinary Club. The club aims to provide an educational and experimental opportunity for students to learn about different cuisines and cultures. The organization was unanimously approved, but the approval was conditional on two members of the organization becoming licensed food handlers and a finance section being added to the group’s constitution.

First Year Class President Erik Kim ’27 announced that the First Year Class Committee will be sending out applications for various subcommittee positions, including vice president. Kim says the committee will soon release an email with more details for those interested.  Sophomore Class President Christiane Betfarhad ’26 also announced that the Sophomore Class Committee is still accepting applications for positions, as the deadline was extended to this Friday.  

Social Board Representative Lynne Bush ’25 discussed preparations for Homecoming weekend, which will include events such as the bonfire this Friday from 8 to 10 p.m. at Gund Commons. Other Student Council members voiced their enthusiasm for Homecoming as well, including Student Council President Marissa Sun ’25, who emphasized the importance of signing up ahead of time for Homecoming events.  

Sun also announced that mailroom hours have been adjusted; namely, the room is no longer closed to students from 12 to 1 p.m. After, Sun reminded the student body that students cannot park in spaces marked as reserved or visitor.. 

Student Council will meet again next Sunday at 7 p.m. in Chalmers 302. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.