Student Council discusses BFC supplemental, Bicentennial

On Sunday evening, Student Council met to discuss the progress of construction on new residence halls, next year’s Bicentennial Celebration and the recent Business and Finance Committee (BFC) supplemental hearing. 

Campus Senate co-chair Cooper Bertschi ’26 announced that Campus Senate recently met with Director of Design and Construction Jo Goldberger, who provided updates on renovations to Bexley Hall and the ongoing construction of two new residence halls on South Campus. Renovations of Bexley are expected to conclude in the next few months, and the building will be available for student housing in spring 2024. Goldberger also updated the Senate on the construction of  two new residence halls on South Campus, referred to as “B West” and “A East.” A East is tentatively expected to be available for housing in spring 2025, while B West will open at a later time. 

Bertschi also discussed other renovation processes on campus which were recently completed. These include relocating the Office of Campus Safety to Gund Commons, repainting Edwards House and building new laboratories in both Samuel Mather and Tomisch Halls. 

He encouraged students to contribute ideas to the Bicentennial Committee in preparation for next year’s celebration. The celebration is currently scheduled to begin on Jan. 8, 2024, as an homage to 1824, the year Kenyon was founded. Other celebratory events related to the Bicentennial are scheduled for Reunion Weekend and Founders’ Day next year. 

Safety and Wellness Committee chair person Madelin Vandeberg ’25 updated the Council on Senior Director of Wellness Christopher Smith’s departure from the College. His last day will be Oct. 20, and Associate Director of Health Promotion Holly Levin will act as interim Director while the College conducts a national search for a replacement. Vandeberg also mentioned that she is organizing a meeting with Campus Safety and Fitness and Recreation Programming Coordinator Tiffany McCallen to discuss future intramural wellness programs. 

The Council approved funding for the most recent BFC supplemental hearing, which was held on Sept. 11. Seventeen student organizations requested funding and 14 were funded in full, with the exceptions of Club Swim, Women’s Rugby and the Black Student Union (BSU). Club Swim requested $800, with $300 for swim caps and an additional $500 for a swim coach. BFC approved funding for swim caps but deferred the second request over concerns that having a student-athlete as a coach may violate BFC funding bylaws. Women’s Rugby requested $1200, but did not have a representative at the hearing and received no funding. BSU requested $600 for a fundraising event involving a meet-and-greet with professors, which was deferred to the Kenyon Campus Community Development Fund (KCCDF), as the BFC is not permitted to fund food for professors. 

Social Board representative Lynne Bush ’25 mentioned that Social Board will be partnering with Student Council to transport students to the Tanger Outlets in Sunbury, Ohio, this Saturday. She also provided a correction to last week’s announcement regarding brunch “add-ons,” clarifying that they will not begin until October. 

Dean of Students Brian Janssen reminded students that Homecoming is quickly approaching, with under two weeks until the multi-day event begins. Social Board plans to host a bonfire with free pizza on Sept. 29, with two home sporting events, field hockey and football, following on Sept. 30. Janssen also mentioned that he is working on installing bat boxes — artificial structures to provide places for bats to roost — in preparation for increased bat activity in the colder months. 

Student Council will next meet on Sunday at 7 p.m. All students are welcome to attend either in person or remotely.