Student council, admin begin new parking program

The parking garage holds 261 spaces for vehicles, and many remain empty throughout the week. | SARA HALEBLIAN

Student Council announced that beginning Oct. 7, students with registered vehicles will be allowed to park in Level 2 of the West Quad Parking Garage from 7 p.m. on Fridays to 2 a.m. on Mondays. This new access is the product of negotiations between the Council and the Office of Campus Safety, among other members of the administration. 

The garage was previously reserved for faculty, staff and visitors, and students were not permitted to park there any time of day. This move to allow students to use the parking garage is the latest extension of the policy that allows students to park in most staff lots in the evenings and over the weekends. Student Council President Ubongabasi Asuquo ’23 sees this move as a win for both students and staff. “I hope the expanded access to the garage reduces the hustle for spots in the Gund Commons parking lots and makes for an even more vibrant and safe campus culture on the weekends,” she said. 

Parking has long been a contested issue on campus, with complaints ranging from accessibility to overall availability. With the construction of the West Quad Parking Garage, which added 261 new parking spaces, students saw an opportunity to remedy the limited capacity of the staff lots students are permitted to park in during the weekends. Open communication between the Council, members of Campus Safety and the administration made this decision possible. Asuquo is proud of the collaboration that took place. “Parking has been a sore spot for a while on campus,” she said. “I think students being able to use the parking garage is an overlay of student advocacy plus staff members of the College who are more attuned to our concerns.” 

The Council also announced the return of the North campus parking pilot program due to its popularity last year. The program allows some students to park in select staff lots on weeknights between 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.