Student Council discusses new investment club, Nerf war

On Sunday, Sept. 4, Student Council met to review officer reports, discuss Business and Finance Committee supplemental requests and hear a proposal for the Kenyon Investment Fund headed by Rocco Danese ’23. 

Vice President for Student Life Bijan Khaghani ’23 kicked off the meeting by promoting the campus-wide Nerf war, which he reported 12 student organizations had signed up to help run as of Sunday night. Khaghani then said he was working on talking to Campus Safety about the possibility of keeping doors open during all-campus parties as a solution to the overheating that the crowds produce. He suggested that instead of closed doors, organizations could get fences to help regulate capacity. Vice President for Business and Finance Melissa Nixon ’23 brought up a limitation of this plan, saying that the fences cost organizations $250 and must be paid for in advance.

Campus Senate Student Co-chair Delaney Gallagher ’23 offered an explanation for why the College will not give students and faculty the day off on Election Day: The College cannot amend the academic calendar less than a year in advance. Gallagher also said that people should keep their discussions regarding the future of the College, like the “Two Kenyons” allstu email discussion, contained in their respective groups and out of public email threads. 

The Council voted to fund in full events for organizations including Men of Color and both the men and women’s rugby clubs. 

Then, Danese spoke to the Council about his proposal for the Kenyon Investment Fund, which would be an opportunity for students to manage money and gain professional experience in the finance world. The club has been in the works since December 2021 and has had some funding approved by Vice President of Student Affairs Celestino Limas. The Council had many questions concerning how revenue would be handled, as well as the structure of the club. 

The Council gave unanimous approval to the Kenyon Investment Fund club. Looking forward, Danese will continue to work with the administration and the Business and Finance Committee to organize the club and request funding. Danese hopes to get the club running by January 2023 and is optimistic about its prospects. “My hope is in a number of years from now the investment fund’s gains can be used to recontribute back into the student community,” he said.