Student Council discusses depleted BFC funds, Nerf war

Student Council met on Sunday to discuss the first-year class elections, the success of the Nerf war, an increase in the Student Success Fund and the depletion of the Business and Finance Committee’s (BFC) funds for student organizations.

Voting for first-year class elections closed on Monday, with the results set to be announced later this week. Vice President for Student Life Bijan Khaghani ’23 addressed reports of poor campaign etiquette, urging students to refrain from pulling down other candidates’ posters or hanging posters in unapproved locations. He also clarified that bribery of any sort was not acceptable.

“In the future, you cannot put things out that say ‘Please vote for this person’ and then have cookies out. You can say, ‘Here are some cookies,’ but you can’t emphasize ‘You should vote for me because of this,’” Khaghani said.

Khaghani also expressed his excitement over the success of Friday’s Nerf war, which had eighteen student organizations and over 120 students participating. The event raised approximately $800 for multiple charities dedicated to preventing gun violence, as well as New Directions, a domestic abuse shelter in Mount Vernon. Khaghani donated an additional $200 to raise the total to over $1,000. 

“We raised some amazing money for some amazing charities, and I’m really excited to get that all out,” Khaghani said. 

The Council also discussed the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s Student Success Fund, which increased from $10,000 to $50,000 this semester. The fund supports students in need of support for various academic expenses such as textbooks, graduate school examination fees and travel costs, professional attire and miscellaneous needs like winter clothing.

“We just want to make sure that you all get the word out to your fellow students that funds are there and students are welcome to apply,” Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Chris Kennerly said.

Student Council President Ubongabasi Asuquo ’23 encouraged students to apply, saying that she noticed many students refrain from doing so because they didn’t expect their request to be granted.

“That’s not a good attitude to have. It’s always good to ask first, and if they say no, figure out something else,” Asuquo said.

Vice President for Business and Finance Melissa Nixon ’23 added that the Business and Finance Committee has exhausted its supplemental funds for the semester and is attempting to acquire money from another source. However, this is unlikely, and Nixon urged student organizations to come to next semester’s funding allocation with requests for the entire semester, noting that it is difficult to fund organizations equitably when there are multiple requests later on in the semester. In the meantime, she directed student organizations to sources such as Fun Funds and departments that may be willing to sponsor student events.

The next Student Council meeting will be held this Sunday at 7:00 p.m.  All students are welcome to attend, in Chalmers 302 or remotely.