Community members celebrate Moxie at memorial service

Students have regarded Moxie as a campus celebrity since 2017. | SARA HALEBLIAN

On Wednesday, Pastor Susan Stevens held a memorial service for Moxie, her pet and beloved campus cat, on the lawn in front of the Epworth United Methodist Church. Moxie lovers and admirers — including Kenyon students, community members and church goers — attended the ceremony, sharing anecdotes and stories of their experiences with him. 

For the past several years, Moxie was an icon and the unofficial mascot of Kenyon College. Moxie’s home with Stevens was near the Epworth United Methodist Church. He and his brother Mosey were adopted as strays in 2017. He could be found around campus on a daily basis, spending a majority of his time on Middle Path and at the Office of Campus Safety, and he has his own merchandise in the college bookstore. Moxie’s home with Stevens was near the Epworth United Methodist Church. He and his brother Mosey were adopted as strays in 2017.   

During the ceremony, Stevens recalled the time she met Moxie and Mosey.  One day she was driving down a country road, and out from the bushes popped Moxie, followed by Mosey. Stevens stopped her car, and Moxie jumped right into the car with her, like she was an old friend.

On July 7, Kenyon students learned of the passing of Moxie via a Facebook post. After learning of his passing, Kenyon students flooded their Instagram stories with pictures, videos and memories of Moxie, highlighting his importance to the Kenyon campus and community. Moxie will long be remembered for his friendly demeanor, his love of jumping onto students’ backpacks and his propensity to secretly enter campus classrooms and buildings. 

Moxie will not be forgotten here at Kenyon. He touched so many of the lives of students, faculty and visitors and was a special part of the Kenyon community. “He opened the door to my heart and the door to Kenyon wide. He loved everyone so freely,” Stevens said during the service. “I’ve been able to connect with all these people I would’ve been too shy to connect with. If anything, his death opened the door even wider.” 

Via a July 9 post on the Facebook page “Where’s Moxie @ Kenyon,” Stevens shared that a plaque for Moxie is being created. While the plaque is in the works, Stevens has made a makeshift memorial for Moxie which consists of a black cat figurine sitting atop a backpack, inside a box which Stevens says might go in the Church of the Holy Spirit. 

“My boy touched so many hearts and souls,” Stevens said. “I too loved him from afar because he felt the need to minister to you all. My prayers are with all those whose hearts he touched. Know that his legacy lives on in all of you. Go be Moxies in the world in which you live.”