Student Council announces election results for 2022-2023

On April 19, the Office of Student Engagement (OSE) publicly announced the winners of the 2022-23 Student Council elections in an email to all students and employees. Most noteworthy was the election of Student Council president Ubongabasi Asuquo ’23.  

The Student Council was founded on March 17, 1959, according to a Collegian article of that year. Since its founding, the Council has represented Kenyon students through years of progress. In 1979, Christine Gould ’80 became the first female president, and in 2021, Micah Smith ’22 became the first openly trans president.  

Asuquo’s reform-based campaign targeted stagnant College policies and support systems that she said were failing a growing number of low-income, international and minority students. She also noted that she is eager to use her position and platform to give back to the Kenyon community. “As excited as I am to take on this role, I consider this an opportunity to continue to serve our Kenyon community,” she said in a message to the Collegian.

Of the five other contested races, Prince Adablah ’23 was elected senior class president, Marissa Sun ’24 was elected sophomore class president, Melissa Nixon ’23 was elected vice president for business and finance, Sally Smith ’23 will be the next chairperson of the Buildings, Grounds and Sustainability Committee and Khue Tran ’25 will be the next chairperson of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.  

The OSE reported that 827 students participated in this year’s election, an increase of 206 students from last year. Even with the increase of voters, turnout remained low, with only 48% percent of the 1,910 students attending Kenyon participating in the election.