Gund Gallery receives $200,000 community outreach grant

On March 31, the Gund Gallery announced that it had received a $200,000 grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation’s Art Museum Futures Fund, a program committed to distributing $24 million to mid-sized art museums nationwide. According to the Gallery’s announcement, the funding will go towards developing more community engagement programs, such as partnering with local organizations, artists and Ohio residents.

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation established the fund in September 2020 as a part of its emergency grantmaking response to COVID-19 in order to support arts and cultural institutions left financially vulnerable as a result of the pandemic.

“Cultural organizations like these small and midsized art museums are essential to the vibrancy of their communities and they are experiencing unprecedented financial vulnerability as a result of the pandemic,” Mellon Foundation President Elizabeth Alexander said in a press release. “We are determined to safeguard these institutions at this time of national crisis, and we believe firmly in their mission to protect and preserve the visionary voices and transformative histories of their communities.”

Previously, the Gallery received support from the Mellon Foundation in 2014 for an artist residencies grant, which funded a three-year project that brought artists like Cheryl Pope, Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, Rania Matar and Ori Gersht to Kenyon.

Gund Gallery Associate Jenny Jantzen ’23 expressed her gratitude for the grant, saying she looks forward to expanding the Gallery’s outreach with the community.

“The Gallery is at a really transformative place right now and it’s exciting to think about how it could expand its reach beyond campus,” Jantzen wrote in an email to the Collegian. “It feels very fitting that the Gallery expands its outreach in a year where it has been considering (through the tenth anniversary show) the stories we still haven’t told.”

In a press release, Director and Chief Curator of the Gund Gallery Daisy Desrosiers spoke to the importance of art museums that connect with their local communities.

“We will continue to work with artists, students, faculty and our neighbors to promote diversity, inclusion and excellence within the arts both on campus and off,” Desrosiers said. “This support from the Mellon Foundation will be transformative as we embark on this adventure and develop a new framework for the future.”