Student Council meets, approves new sexual wellness club

On Sunday, Feb. 27, Student Council met to discuss Business and Finance Committee supplemental petitions and granted approval to the Kenyon Sexual Wellness Club led by Jesse Leener ’23. The Council also provided updates on its elections for the upcoming year, as well as the appointment of a new buildings, grounds and sustainability volunteer. 

In addition, the Council voted to fund in full the expenditures for organizations such as the Outdoors Club and Adelante. 

A volunteer from the Building, Grounds, and Sustainability Committee volunteered to give reports from the committee to Student Council. The student council bylaws state what should occur in the case of a vacancy, but the Student Council executive board decided not to hold a special election, as Student Council elections begin soon.

In her proposal for Kenyon’s Sexual Wellness club, Leener spoke to the Council about the College’s lack of organizations focused on sexual health and education since the disbandment of the Beer and Sex program. In the proposal, Leener laid out her vision to improve the sexual health of the community by bringing pleasure-positive sex education to campus. 

Leener emphasized her hopes that the club will become an open and collaborative space for students to discuss pleasure-positive sex education and hookup culture on campus. According to Leener, the organization will bring in speakers to talk about safe sex practices and hold opportunities for students to openly discuss sex in a positive space. “I want to just get the conversation going on what we can do, because there is not a conversation currently and there needs to be,” she said. 

The Sexual Wellness Club received unanimous approval from the Council.