Greek Council notices an increase in student participation

Last week, Kenyon’s Greek organizations hosted spring recruitment events, receiving 231 registrations from eligible students.

According to Director of Student Engagement Mick Steiner, the Greek Council set a goal of 200 student registrations prior to the first informational session on Sunday, Jan. 30. By the start of recruitment, 231 students participated based on a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA. Most registrations were first-year students. This represented an increase in student registrations from last semester’s fall recruitment, where 141 sophomores and juniors signed up to participate.

Recruitment began Jan. 31 and ran through Sunday, Feb. 6, with organizations hosting events throughout the week. Greek organizations extended bids to recruits on Wednesday, Feb. 9 with new member cards to be signed by Friday, Feb. 11.

Hosting recruitment in the spring semester meant working around suboptimal temperatures, which made Greek organizations more creative with indoor events. Phi Kappa Tau (Phi Tau) Recruitment Chair Adam Bell ’22 hosted food- and game-based events, such as a pizza night in the Craft Center.

“While COVID made food prep a little more challenging due to the masking requirement, I feel like we had the personal touch still,” Bell wrote in an email to the Collegian.

He also noted that Phi Tau wanted events to reflect the character of the organization. “For Phi Tau, we deeply care for each other and find our strength in supporting each other, with everyone being involved in the brotherhood,” Bell said.

Greek Council President Thea Soukup ’22 also noted that, in addition to new pandemic guidelines, this year’s recruitment included one less Greek organization on campus. In October 2021, the Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity disbanded after 84 years of existence on campus. The group’s dissolution followed a disappointing 2021 fall recruitment season.

“It can be scary to see more and more organizations dissolve over the years, but I do think recruitment is a way to help revitalize the Greek community,” Soukup wrote in an email to the Collegian. “We’ve got a lot more students going through the recruitment process this year, and we’re finally back on our normal recruitment schedule, as this past fall was mainly making up for many groups not holding a recruitment last spring.”

In addition, more COVID-19 cases at the start of the year left many Greek organizations worried about the prospects of recruitment going online. But dropping cases meant that all recruitment events could be in person.

“I think it can be difficult for the organizations to adjust to all the new guidelines that are thrown their way,” Soukup said. “Overall, it’s been really successful so far and I’m excited to usher in a new cohort of students to the Greek community.”