LBIS modifies Chalmers Library room reservation system

On Sunday, Nov. 28, the Library and Information Services (LBIS) staff sent out a Student-Info email detailing updates to the Chalmers Library study room reservation system implemented in September. 

LBIS released the initial guidelines for reserving a group study room in late September. Soon after, Buildings and Grounds Committee Chair Caleb Newman ’24 sent out a feedback form on Oct. 21 to gauge how students felt about the library’s operations. Some responses complained about limited availability and confusion over how to book a room in the first place. 

These minor changes come in response to results of this study. In the Nov. 28 email, Associate Vice President for Libraries and Strategic Innovation Amy Badertscher said LBIS made these changes to ensure that all students have equal and fair access to the group study spaces. 

The most significant change to the system is that it now allows for students to book two sessions at a maximum of two hours each instead of one four-hour booking, allowing for greater flexibility in timing. 

One of the other changes is the automatic confirmation students receive after booking a room. This digital receipt will provide assurance for people who book a room only to show up and see it is being used by someone who has not reserved it. 

Newman is pleased with the updates to the system. “I am happy that the changes are going to be based in part on the work that my committee did,” he said.